Wednesday, June 8, 2011

Music in Afghanistan

The Afghan girls, 'Crystal' and 'Blondie', arrived at Camp Bastion a couple days ago (just over a week in route), to keep US Navy Corpsman Charles Setzer company.  Geez, it took less time for this package to arrive half way around the world, than it does to ship to Montana.  Go figure!

Chuck got his guitar, and this is what he had to say:

June 8, 2011

Hey Jess,

I just got it yesterday. It came into the mail center and I picked it up as I went to work.  I love it! Several others at work were very impressed too.  After I finished with the only patient I had last night I just sat up and played all night long.  It's very cool.  I love the artwork and the finish.  It looks amazing!  My friend Eddy and I took turns with it.  I took several pictures as well.  Thank you so much for taking the time to make this for me.  I am very grateful and it's already helping to take my mind off of some of the crappy things here in Afg.

I threw in a desert sunrise picture just for the hell of it, and I threw in a picture of a box of rocks.  Sometimes the box is smarter.  I just thought that was kinda funny.  It's a door stop in the hospital, but growing up my mom always used to say, "he/she is about as smart as a box of rocks".  So, that made me laugh when I saw it.

Well, I'm off to the gym, before I go to chow, then to work.  I'll be taking Crystal with me to work every night.  It's nice to have a faithful woman at my side, who can make me feel happy.
:) he he.

Thanks so much!
HM@ 'Chuck' Setzer

I will continue to build cigar box guitars, if for no other reason than to share them with the people who give so much, so I can enjoy security and freedom here at home, what better way to say 'Thank You' to them.  They are my heroes!

Photos of Chuck . . .

Yes, it's packed well.  
That's not a bottle of hooch by the chair, it's the amp.

OOH, I think Chuck likes his lady!

Afghan culture looks like a concrete wall.

 How dumb is that?

The start of a breathtaking 120+ degree day at Camp Bastion.
Nothing like an early morning sunrise to make things look good.

1 comment:

  1. Wow, that's super, Jess! They looked so thrilled.
    Very nice indeed.

    ReplyDelete