Sunday, February 21, 2010

The 'Gutshaker'

The 'Gutshaker' is a full-size, 34-inch scale bass guitar created from an old silverware box I found while rummaging around a secondhand store, and red oak neck.  In this creation, I combined both of my favorite hobbies, pinstriping/graphics and cigar box guitars.  The 'Gutshaker' name comes from the last hotrod I built, and the little guy painted on the top is my version of Roth's Rat Fink painted to reflect the name, and it represents the gut-shaking sound from the bass.  The large size of the box allows plenty of room for the 'f' holes and special bridge designs.  The ol'skool pinstriping on the back further carries out the theme.  But, the real fun is in the tailstock, which is a sterling silver cake server I 'borrowed' from my wife's silverware.  It fit the design well, and we never use it, so why not?  I didn't ask permission, because forgiveness always works best for me. When she discovers my procurement, I will plead senility brought on by old age, and I know she will forgive me.   {;-)


No comments:

Post a Comment