Sunday, May 4, 2014

'Black Dog' Amp


My Doc asked me the other day how I was feeling.  He's concerned that I might be struggling with an issue or two related to my recent heart surgery.  He tells  me that it is not unusual for a fella to avoid doing some things that were a regular occurrence before surgery . . . avoidance.  OK, Doc, I understand, but that's not me, OK!

He failed to tell me that my memory might be affected.

How do I know?  Well, I've been planning on building a really cool amplifier, but I needed to order an amp harness from my friend Ty at GuitarFuel.  I thought I had a couple laying around from the last order a couple months before the surgery, but I didn't bump into them while looking around the shop.

The project got underway with the assembly of parts (except a harness, which is on order).

A great Legend Ario cigar box from Ed at Woodland Cigars for the amp body, new JBL speakers scavenged from the Hospice Thrift Store, a kick-ass Black Lab drawer pull from someplace (see, I can't remember) for decoration, and the journey began.  Can't wait to receive the harness, so I can light this thing up.

The box is made to withstand a tornado with sides a half-inch thick, or maybe it's to carry Ed's weight in the event he needed a place to sit, while watching Kim Kardashian exercise in yoga pants . . . it doesn't take a lot to entertain Ed.

At any rate, I needed to cut a large opening in the lid of the box, to accommodate the amp controls and switches, and then to create a thin wood cover for the opening.  Out comes a piece of cardboard to cut a template, and under the cardboard on a shelf was a box.  Inside that box was the harnesses I couldn't find!

Geez, Doc, I think you're onto something!  I suffer from CRS (Can't Remember Shit)!

Now, I gotta build more amps, 'cause I got a harness order coming.

Oh, well, here it is, the 'Black Dog' amp.  It's loud, and it ranges from clean to downright dirty.  So, there isn't much that you cannot do with this little tone monster.

Let me know what you think of it.













The 'Black Dog' is powered by the NO SOLDER GuitarFuel MAH5 harness featured here, and it really is a 'monster'.  With a full 5 watts of power, you have a choice of tones from crystal clear to metal mayhem. The tone expander circuit provides a flat boost and EQ control.  There's an IPOD/MP3 input (3.5mm jack) so you can play along with your favorite music, and even an A tuning note so you can have one less thing (tuner) to carry with you.  A 3.5mm headphone/ear bud jack is included and turns off the speaker, when in use.  Complete portability with a 9V alkaline battery for power, or use a 12-15VDC adapter (center + fully regulated is recommended).  Other features are:  Volume Control (On/Off as well with light indicator); 5-way rotary switch for Clean, Tube, Blues, Rock, Metal, and A Tuning note;

All kidding aside, GuitarFuel amp harnesses are the best you can buy for a DIY project.  There are other parts on the market, but none of them stack up to the GF Monster!  Sure, it's a little more pricey than the others, but, as the old saying goes, "You get what you pay for", and you get your moneys worth with any parts from GuitarFuel.  Explore what Ty has to offer, by clicking on the www.GuitarFuel.com link on the right-hand column of this site.

No comments:

Post a Comment