Tuesday, January 26, 2010

A New Hobby

I've always been involved with music in one way or another, and my wife fulfilled one of my longtime dreams by presenting me in mid-December with an early Christmas present, an Ibanez hollowbody electric guitar to share a corner of my den with a Martin acoustic and an Alvarez plank.  The Ibanez stimulated me to do a little research on the web, and while involved in surfing the many different guitar sites, I bumped into Cigar Box Nation.

I thought, "what is a cigar box guitar." 

Well, let me tell you, it is the most interesting and stimulating hobby that I have ever encountered.

It was so facinating to me that I read everything I could find about these little noise makers, and I immediately made a lumber/hardware run to Lowe's for the necessary parts to get started on my very own CBG (that's short for the little guitar name), and detoured by the local tobacco shop for a supply of cigar boxes. 

That run was on December 19, and since then I have completed the design and manufacture of five completely different and unusual cigar box guitars.

These things are a hoot to build and dynamite to play.  Yes, they sound great!  Especially wired for sound and played through an amplifier.

Take a look at my creations when I post the photos and let me know what you think.  And, if your really interested, hop over to http://www.cigarboxnation.com/ for a real treat and introduction into the world of CBGs.

No comments:

Post a Comment